Friday 21 January 2011

ZDF Filming - Unplugged at Bournemouth University

On Wednesday 19th January, a film crew from German TV station ZDF - "it's the German equivalent of the BBC" according to one of the crew - came to Bournemouth University to film a segment for their news show about the Unplugged experiment.

Unplugged was a 24 hour experiment where first year media school students were challenged to go without all forms of media and technology. No phones, laptops or iPods were allowed, but to make it tougher still, things such as the radio and newspapers were banned as well.

On the day of the filming, I was filmed first talking with one of my lecturers, Roman Gerodimos, who was in charge of the experiment in the university. Afterwards I was interviewed directly in front of the camera. The hardest part was not looking into the camera as I spoke, instead making eye contact with the woman who was quizzing me.

Once my section was over, I chose to stick around and follow the crew to the library where they were filming an interview piece with Charlotte Gay, another student on my course. I ended up carrying the tripod - "so you learn what it's really like when you go out filming" - and I have to say I woke up the following morning with aching legs that I can only put down to the heavy lifting.

It was a really insightful day though, and I felt I learned a lot from shadowing the crew as well as being in front of the camera. It was the first time I had done anything television related, but it has made me rather excited for my TV module this term.







(Pictures are all screenshots from the news footage. If you want to see it in it's entirety, go to about seven and a half minutes in to see my international television debut.)




No comments:

Post a Comment